Saturday 28 March 2009

Where I Want To Go, Apart From The Pub

Ive been asked the question where do you want to be in 5 years so many times now, and over the past 3 years theres been so many different answers to go with it. But the thing is im really open minded about that subject. At college i stopped on for another year to do a foundation in fine art because i didnt want my portfolio to just contain graphic design. I wasnt prepared to dedicate myself to just one thing so early in life, and here at uni i still kind of feel the same way. I stayed really open minded about what i wanted to aspire to while still thinking about what im passionate about, at first i thought illustration might be a good route because i love music and doing something like creating album artwork could be a good start. But it wasnt until i was casually flicking through prospectus' at college that i first layed eyes on this course. Ive played games for god knows how long and my parents always bug me at home for how i dont have enough storage space for them resulting in my floor being littered with game cases and controllers, so i thought following that route could be it aswell, id love to sit and play a game with my friends and then when the last boss appears on screen i could casually point and go yeah i made that. so here i am.

But thing is all the passion aside, when it comes down to experience in whats nessecary to be a game artist i didnt really have that much. When i first joined the course i didnt have experience with any of the modules. Essays i had done (and despised) but blogs no, and in terms of drawing sitting in a park with no more then a sketchbook and a pencil was even new to me, and i remember before uni started i downloaded 3ds max and gave it a go but the second it opened it just baffled me. I knew i wasnt going to suddenly and magically become some shit hot artist so my target for the year wasnt to create awesome artwork and models because it was all new to me and i knew i had to learn it all first, so i simply wanted to keep up with the learning curve.

Since ive been hear ive learnt a lot though which has gave me ideas into what i might want to be. My digital painting still sucks big style so i need to put more time into that. But the 3d work is something ive kind of clicked with, i know im not the best modeller yet and my character project shows that but once again i have to walk before i can run. Since being here ive downloaded about 4GB of tutorials for 3ds max showing me how to do everything from modeling a super high poly head to a low poly rubber ducky...seriously, i have a tutorial on how to model a rubber ducky, and personally i enjoy doing the 3d work. Theres nothing better than sitting in your nice warm room at 1AM with a can of beer in one hand and a cigarette in the other cracking one with some editable polys, i fucking love it. Like i said im still very open minded about where to go from uni but something 3d wise wouldnt be too bad for me i think.

For reflection i do know ive came along way from merely 6 months ago when the likes of a target weld on max got me confused and drawing the canal was bewildering. My first ever attempt on max i simply sat there making lots of teapots being amused like a simple child and now here i am having to hand in a 2,000 poly character, and thats just 6 months. so my ultimate goal from next 2 years is just to quite simply get better at what im doing, and well see where it gets me by the third year with any luck.

No comments: