Monday 27 October 2008

First Blog Entry

So yeah, first year of university and we've been told that instead of writing pages upon pages of degrading essays instead we have this, a magical little thing called a blog. My first reaction to this was honestly a bit woah! I was both uneasy about essay style writing and curious about it being a magical thing called a blog instead. See the 'academic' side of education like English literature was something I personally despised. The thought of having to write 2000 words about how Shakespeare did this and that in his plays to create this and that kind of dramatic tension was something i wasn't keen on. It wasn't learning, more about getting facts drilled into your head for you to later regurgitate at a desk with an exam paper sat staring at you, it wasn't creative. It was'nt me

Because of this it took me a while for my curiosity to suddenly it creep up on me and think yeah, blogs may be a good thing (*cough cough* forgive me if I'm wrong people) I started to realize these aren't no essays, more a diary of your collective thoughts and opinions on a subject, and just like most men, when drunk at a bar discussing pointless issues, my opinion on a matter is something i can put down quite well. Simple, yet effective :D

To continue this i had to ask myself the question 'do you feel comfortable writing for an invisible audience?' This gave me some food for thought, and i don't mean the family sized trifle on munching down on all to myself right now. This is because you wouldn't want some drunk American jock at a house party running into your room and reading your diary. And in the case of a blog, this is just that...i think. So i would say i should feel uncomfortable about it but to be honest i don't, because if i write something where i slobber on for ages, much like I'm doing now, I wont have some guy come up and punch me in the face for it. It's more of an audience where you can comfortably write to them expressing your opinions and matters, probably because their invisible lol. and the feedback after going through other blogs is creative and supportive, or criticised constructively, not some bloke goin LOL! you suck. so in answer to it yeah i do feel comfortable writing to an invisble audience because of these reasons.

And on that note i think I'll leave it at that for my first blog entry, toodles for now people

No comments: